Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Taco Night at the Guess' House

Taco night is seriously one of our favorite nights at our house. It is so simple and sooo good! Tonight was such a night. Taco night has evolved quite a bit since when we got married. Usually we have taco salads, but once in awhile we make tacos.

So here are a few of the things I do. I usually make chicken and hamburger so that we can have a choice. I used to make just hamburger, but one night when we went to my in-laws we had both kinds of meats and it was nice to have a choice. Tonight I made Cafe Rio Chicken. This was a new recipe for us, but we really liked it. I have also used the Tyson grilled chicken and it is the best frozen grilled chicken I have found. It doesn't have that fake taste and it is a good cut of chicken. I highly recommend it. Throw it in a pan with a little water and it cooks quick.
On my hamburger meat I use a homemade taco seasoning found on Pinterest. The recipe can be found here. The thing I liked about this recipe is that it doesn't have the sodium that normal seasoning has and it is a lot thicker than the regular seasoning. You add corn starch and water to the meat with the seasoning and it sticks to the meat, not like regular seasoning! We love it.

I also make my own pico de gallo. I love the freshness of pico or any homemade salsa! I found a recipe for it here. Some things I love about this recipe is the amount of tomatoes and the lime juice. I am not crazy about the jalapenos, but I usually just pick them out of mine. The cilantro is a little tricky too. I hate chopping cilantro. I found a tube version where it is already chopped. It makes almost a paste and it blends a lot better in the pico de gallo. I guess to each their own, but if you can find the tube of herbs, I highly recommend it.


The last big thing we do different is put ranch on our taco salads (I think that is why we eat salads more.) We love ranch!!! Well, I do anyway and my love for it has passed on to my darling child...he he! I am always looking for homemade ranch recipes. We have a restaurant here that I would love to find their recipe, but have yet to find anything close to it. The one I found on this blog is really close (This is the same blog with the taco seasoning). The thing I love about this recipe is it is so fresh tasting! Also, the health factor was made quite obvious to me one morning. Regular ranch dressing if left out on a plate or in a bowl overnight (after using it for dipping or something the night before) will be hard and have yellow fat and oil on the top. It is really quite disgusting! One night Sophie had to have ranch for dipping and we gave her a small bowl. I left what was left out overnight to see the difference and in the morning, there was no oil and it wasn't hard. It washed out of the bowl easily. So if it came out that easy, imagine how it is not clogging our arteries and imagine how the other regular bottled one is! That alone was reason enough for me to try to make my own and we love it!

Our other taco items are lettuce (any kind really), tomatoes (because Sophie doesn't like the pico), cheese (sharp cheddar), black olives, sour cream, tortillas(if we are doing tacos) or tortilla chips (for salad). Tonight I used wheat tortillas and was quite please by how I couldn't tell a difference from the regular ones. 

Feel free to share what you do for taco night! Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment