Saturday, January 28, 2012

Cleaning...YUCK!!!

Hate to disappoint, but I did not make it to the grocery store today! We had a visitor come to see us today, Aunt Donna! Also, today was a catch up cleaning day. Klint, Sophie, and I have all been sick this past week. That mean no cleaning got done! My kitchen was deplorable and the living room looked like a furniture store. We got a new recliner and coffee table/ottoman last week. The old coffee table and ottoman were both sitting in the middle of the floor! So, once again, the house is not spotless, but it is back in order and good enough that we can get back on our cleaning schedule next week.

Yes, we have a cleaning schedule. I did this for several reasons. 1. I have always made list to keep up with things I need to do at work, what I need to pack for a trip, lists for the grocery store, you get the picture. Why not make a list for cleaning??? (I know that I may have a problem!) 2. Klint and I would have the little couple squabbles about him not doing something and he would always say, "I don't know what to do! You have to tell me!" Well, now it hangs on the fridge and to his credit, he looks at it and really helps me out! 3. I don't want to spend all day Saturday cleaning! If I can do a couple of things and the laundry, then my day still feels like mine and I can do what I want. 

The idea for the cleaning schedule came from the Blog "Organizing Made Fun". She has a whole blog dedicated to organizing and cleaning and wonderful ideas! The post about having a clean house is broken into several parts. All are good and have great ideas. She even posted a copy of her schedule on her blog. Below is a copy of my schedule.

Monday: 
  • Clean bathrooms (toilets, sinks, mirrors, sweep, and swiffer. Do tubs every other week.)
  • Fold Laundry
  • Clean kitchen (Load dishwasher and wipe counters down)
Tuesday:
  • Pick up bedrooms (clothes, toys, take trash out)
  • Sweep (kitchen, living room, garage entrance)
Wednesday:
  • Vacuum bedrooms, hallways, and rugs
  • Clean kitchen (Load dishwasher and wipe counters down)
Thursday:
  • Sort Mail
  • Pick up living room and dust (use furniture cleaner every other week)
Friday: 
  • Clean Kitchen with cleaner and declutter counters (it is amazing what the counters catch in a week)
  • Sweep and vacuum
Saturday:
  • Swiffer floors
  • Start doing laundry
Sunday:
  • Finish laundry
  • REST!!!
It doesn't seem like a lot and it really isn't. It takes about 20 to 30 minutes to do each of these things (Well, laundry is an all day thing). I can usually spare that much time. One thing that the above blog mentioned was that if you miss a day it is okay. Let it go until next week. Which is all well and fine, but eventually you do have to catch it all up, hence my day today. She also recommended getting a bucket to keep all of your cleaning stuff in. I went to Wal-Mart to day and found this bucket.

$4.98

Something else I have learned is that The Dollar Tree has really good cleaners for really cheap. I stopped there today and picked up a few things. I found Comet cleaning powder which is some of my favorite cleaner. I also found some microfiber cloths for dusting and furniture polish and some Brillo pads for deep scrubbing. Someone was talking about their cleaning lady (oh, how I wish) and how they told them that cheap paper towels were the best to use for cleaning.  It makes sense because I swear I saw somewhere that newspaper made a good cleaner for mirrors and windows. I found a glass cleaner at The Dollar Tree that contained vinegar. I thought that was pretty awesome. My Dollar Tree finds are below.


with vinegar...something new


I had a lot of other cleaning supplies here, so I threw them in my bucket and I am all set! Now to find a place to store it (thinking the laundry room).

I did add some Swiffer dusters I had to my bucket. 

So, I did have a productive day even if I didn't make it to the grocery store. I got the house back to ground zero clean so we can do our weekly chores and get it back "spotless" or as spotless as it can be with a two year old running around the house!


Happy Cleaning!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment