Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sunday Lunch...

Growing up, Sunday lunch was a big deal. We would go every Sunday to my grandma's house and eat. I mean EVERY Sunday. I remember coming into her house and smelling her pot roast cooking in the kitchen. It was and still is one of my favorite meals she cooks. What is even funnier is we loved it when she burned it. She would cooks hers in a pan on top of the stove and sometimes she would burn it, not crispy, but just slightly charred and that made it so much better!

Now that we live away from our hometown, we eat out at a country buffet or somewhere quick so we can get Sophie in the bed for her nap. When we first moved here we would eat out twice a day on Sunday. Major damage to the old budget ($$$)! So now we try to eat one meal (if not both meals) at home and eat out one meal. We wanted to go out tonight. So we ate at home at lunch. We told Sophie we were going to "Momma J's". You can imagine her disappointment when we pulled in the driveway....he he!

Well, just like at Grandma's, a favorite meal around here is pot roast, however, I cook mine in a crockpot. I do it several ways. One way is by adding a large can of Cream of Mushroom after adding my meat and veggies and then adding a can of water to the mixture and cook it. It makes a thicker gravy, and it is pretty tasty. Another way is just throwing the veggies and meat in a pot and just letting it cook naturally with a little water. It is a little blander, but it still is pretty good. This is a good way to make it and use the meat for sandwiches later.

I tried a new recipe today off of Pinterest for Pot Roast. This recipe caught my eye because it called for a packet of Ranch, a packet of Italian, and a packet of brown gravy mix. (I don't even want to know the sodium in all that!!!) I was also excited because I got to use my new programmable crockpot! Whoop! Whoop!

Cuisinart



Best Pot Roast Ever
What you need: 
~2-5 pound pot roast (any kind)  
~1 envelope ranch dressing (dried)
~1 envelope Italian dressing
~1 envelope brown gravy mix
~Potatoes, Carrots, Mushrooms, and Onions
~1 to 1-1/2 cup water






What you do: 1. If you wanted carrots and potatoes in your CrockPot, cut them to your liking and put in the bottom of your CrockPot. I put my potatoes and onions and carrots on the bottom layered just like I typed it. The potatoes take longer to cook.

We use a lot of carrots because Sophie loves them!

2. Put Roast on top of vegatables. 
3. Sprinkle all 3 spice envelopes on top. 
I put my mushrooms on top because they cook pretty quick!

4. Add the water. 
5. 
Cook on LOW for 6-10 hours until tender and veggies cooked through.

The gravy had a nice flavor and the meat was wonderful too with just enough spice. There was enough for lunch and for another dinner one night! I highly recommend this recipe! Sorry I didn't take a picture of it finished! We couldn't wait to eat...he he!

Happy cooking!


1 comment: