Monday, February 20, 2012

Diabetes aka "The Sugar": Part 1, Diagnosis

Klint and I have not had to typical normal relationship that most couples have. We knew we wanted to get married from the moment we started dating (I knew on the first date, it took him a couple of more dates). We bought my engagement ring the first time we met his mom (way to prove we are serious). The first time he met my parents, we hydroplaned off of the road and ran into the ditch (I was driving. I made the mistake of bragging I had never been in a wreck). When he asked me to marry him, everything went wrong, but I did say yes! He was with me when my grandfather died. We made it through a Maymester accounting class (that was a big feat and I know Klint will smile when he reads that. It was rough). We made it through Klint's first tax season. We made it through Klint flatlining in the ER at SGMC (there is a longer story behind this and no, he didn't really flatline, but you could've fooled me and his step-mom). We have been through a seizure in the middle of the night (another long story). We made it through food poisoning (Klint and I both got it, but I had to be admitted for it). I guess you could say that all of these things should have been a sign. They were a sign of how strong we were and how far we had come. These events also made us stronger and helped us learn to laugh at life. Goodness knows we needed it in 2007.

I heard a comedian one time talk about having diabetes. He said his mama cried and said, "You got the sugar! Lord, not the sugar!" At the time that we saw this, Klint had just been diagnosed with "The Sugar" and it was still fresh to us. But, it was nice to see that someone could make light of a situation that had changed our lives.

Klint was diagnosed in February of 2007 with Type 2 diabetes. He had gone to the doctor because he had low energy, was drinking anything he could find (water, diet coke, etc.) and he had to use the bathroom constantly. He went and had a battery of test. The test came back that he had diabetes. I remember where I was when I found out. I was in Valdosta with my mom. I got a call from the doctor's office saying that they had been looking for Klint. He wasn't returning their calls. (He was in tax season and was slightly busy.) I told them I would give him the message and asked if they could tell me what the results said. They told me no that they just needed to talk to him ASAP. That made my heart sink. I called Klint right away and demanded (I wasn't very nice) that he call the doctors office. He called me back and told me the results. I was just stunned, but the more we talked through it the more we realized it was bound to happen. He had a grandmother with diabetes, an uncle on his mom's side and his mother had it. If it was going to happen to anyone it would be Klint. (We had just thought it would be later in life. He was 28.)

Some facts from The America Diabetes Association. Type 2 diabetes is the most common type of diabetes.

"In type 2 diabetes, either the body does not produce enough insulin or the cells ignore the insulin. Insulin is necessary for the body to be able to use glucose for energy. When you eat food, the body breaks down all of the sugars and starches into glucose, which is the basic fuel for the cells in the body. Insulin takes the sugar from the blood into the cells.
When glucose builds up in the blood instead of going into cells, it can cause two problems:
  • Right away, your cells may be starved for energy.
  • Over time, high blood glucose levels may hurt your eyes, kidneys, nerves or heart.
Some groups have a higher risk for developing type 2 diabetes than others. Type 2 diabetes is more common in African Americans, Latinos, Native Americans, and Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders, as well as the aged population." www.diabetes.org

Klint was so depressed about the diagnosis. He felt like he had let his family down, me down, but mostly himself. I was depressed because I thought Klint was going to die any minute (I am a little over dramatic upon my own admission). I had watched the effects of diabetes on a neighbor friend of ours and eventually he did pass away because of other things, but I am sure having diabetes did not help. It didn't matter that he was a lot older than us and had lived a long life. I just knew Klint's life was over. I know it is ridiculous to say that now, but those were the feelings I had. We both kind of wallowed in pity for a long time, but one day we just stopped and thought about all the things we had been through and just decided this would be another thing on our list that one day we could look back at and say, "We made it!"
As I said, Klint was bound to get diabetes. We had just hoped it would be later. Klint is a big guy (I called him my big teddy bear when we started dating). I told him I wouldn't share weight. He is tall and just all around sturdy (that is what I like to say anyway). Below is a picture of Klint around the time he was diagnosed. I had also gained weight since we had gotten married. We were both struggling!
Tractor show, October 2006


Klint's doctor immediately put him on a diet, not really a stated diet, but he limited what he could eat. He was also put him on Metformin (generic for Glucophage).  The side effects of these medicines are not pretty. Klint was nauseated and sick to his stomach all the time. It wasn't any fun. Klint was also ordered to check his sugar twice a day. Thank goodness Klint isn't like me. I would rather have a dozen shots in my arm than have my finger pricked. I just hate it! But he did and does pretty good with it. We also went to a class that talked about diabetes and what is good to eat when you are diabetic (This also helped me get over my "Klint's gonna die!" phase). I'll post more about that in my next post. Klint lost weight and has not gained it back since he lost it. Below are two more recent pictures.

Sophie's birthday, February 2010

Cruise, Summer 2011

As the years have gone on (5 years now) Klint's diabetes have progressed into almost a Type 1 diabetes. His pancreas isn't producing insulin and so he is now on two different types of insulin. He takes one after he eats and one before bed. It is very costly, but he needs it. He is also on a medicine that is for his blood pressure that has the side effect of helping his kidneys. He is on a few other medicines too to help with other things associated with diabetes. 

Klint goes to the doctor religiously. He goes to the foot doctor regularly. He has his eyes checked yearly. He goes to the dentist every 6 months and has a dental ritual he does every night. These areas are all areas of the body that are hit the hardest with diabetes. He is pretty responsible when it comes to that.

I guess the bottom line is diabetes is not the end of the world (has I thought when we first go the diagnosis). I know that things will probably be worse when we are old and rocking in our chairs on the front porch, but I know now that I will see that day and it isn't like his life is over. 

The second part will be about the class we attended and what we learned. If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will try to answer them them best I can! 

Thanks!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment