Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sophie's Guardian Angel

This day, three years ago, I found out that an irreplaceable part of my family was not with us. This family member was my mother and she left me with her favorite thing on Earth (cats were a close second) her grandbaby, Sophie Rae. Sophie was only seven months old when my mom passed. She came to Tifton every weekend to see her and she always there when we needed her. Her passing left a huge hole in our lives.

Thursday night, September 17, 2009, this video of Sophie crawling. Later that night my mom posted that she had watched a video of a baby crawling in Tifton and needed to come see it. She came that Friday night and spent the night and got to watch Sophie crawl and roll all over the house. Saturday, we went out and did some window shopping at some of the little boutiques in town. That day she asked Klint if Prilosec worked for him because she had had heartburn for awhile and it wouldn't go away no matter what she took. Why a warning didn't go off, Klint and I will never know. I did tell her she should call the doctor about it, but that was about it. She stayed the night and then left before church Sunday so she could go to her home church.


Our sweet baby crawling

Sunday, after church we headed down to Valdosta to see my grandma and let her see Sophie crawl. My mom was there and she took lots of pictures and wanted to get a good picture of her and Sophie for Facebook. She still complained of heartburn. We went out to eat that night and that was the last time I saw her. I did get to hug her and tell her I loved her. That was September 20, 2009.

Last picture of mom and Sophie

On Monday, September 21, 2009, I received a text from my mom's friend, Sheree,  asking if I had talked to mom. She said that mom had a dentist appointment that morning, but then never came in after that. I called Sheree right away and she told me she was going to go to my mom's and check on her. I thought maybe she had something done at the dentist and didn't feel like making it in, but couldn't call because her mouth was sore....I guess I was grasping at straws. I left work when Sheree headed to my mom's because I knew I would need to head down to Valdosta. Just a gut feeling. I won't go into the specifics, out of respect for all involved and because I just don't like to relive that 20 minute car ride home, but at around 4:00 (I guess), my mom's boss called and told Klint that mom was gone. I went numb from that point on and coasted on autopilot. The coroner said that he thought was a massive heart attack and that she died instantly. 

So I type all this to say, chest pain is not a joke! Please, if you have acid reflux and it just want go away, go to the hospital. Even if they say it is just heart burn, you at least will know! I wish so many times I had taken mom that day to the hospital. Who knows what would have happened.

Not a day goes by that I don't think of her. I miss talking to her the most. She was truly my best friend and always knew just what to say and what I needed to hear. I told her everything. Klint said he had never seen a mother/daughter relationship like ours and we did truly have a unique relationship. I miss hearing her sing. My voice is just an echo of what hers was. She had the prettiest voice. 

She loved the beach. It was like her spirit was free there and all her troubles were released in the wind and washed out with the tides. That is why we let her ashes free on the beach in St. Augustine, FL. She loved that beach. She called it her beach. Now, it will forever be hers. 

Picture mom took the summer before she left us

Now, with Maggie on the way, I have missed my mom, but I feel that she is always there. The day we found out Maggie had never left us, I could almost hear my mom laughing at our shock and just knew she was in the room. I know in my heart too that my mom has met Maggie and I am sure she loved on her before she came to Earth. I do hate that there will not be any pictures of the two of them together, but I will do my best to make sure Maggie knows where her middle name name came from and who her Nonnie was.

I had my mom for 28 years. I feel so blessed to have had her for the time I did. I will always miss her and wish that I could just pick the phone up and call her. I wonder what she would say about Sophie's shenanigans. I am sure she would laugh, but also give me wonderful advice.

I love you, mom, and I can't wait to see you again one day!











Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment