Saturday, September 29, 2012

Freezer Meals, Part 4: Round 2, Let's go!

So, here is what I think of freezer meals! I love them!!!! I did the last set in July, and we still have five of those left plus two things of shredded chicken. You can read all about that here.

Since my last time doing freezer meals, I have tried to get on the couponing wagon and really paying attention to sales and things like that. I discovered  (though apparently everyone else knew but me) that the Harvey's in our area had a Super Saving Wednesday. Chicken was $1.99 a pound and hamburger meat was $1.69 a pound not to mention two gallons of milk for $5.00. I think that made me the most excited! They also had red potatoes buy one get one. Not to mention a lot of their other meats were on sale. I looked like a carnivorous cave woman getting all that meat, but it was worth it. I ended up saving $90. (It really changed the outlook on my day after having my glucose test and flu shot earlier...yuck!)

I went to Publix the next night and got the rest of what I would need. YES, we have a Publix now and I am slightly addicted! I know there are certain things I am going to pay more for at Publix because my bill was a little more than what I was used to, but I just loved shopping in a real grocery store with a huge selection. All in all, I spent around $300 for the freezer meals and they should last me a month or more. I know I am not one of those couponing divas who gets everything for $150 and it last a month, but maybe one day I will be.

Here's the breakdown of my meals:

  • 3 packs of taco meat
  • 2 packs of shredded chicken (we have four now because of the left over we had from before)
  • 8 freezer meals (we have 13 now counting the ones from last time)
  • 5 frozen soups
  • 2 spaghetti sauces
  • 1 meat loaf
  • 2 rotisserie chickens
  • 1 ham
  • 2 pot roasts

That is a grand total of 33 meals (I think I did that math right)! Woo hoo! And a lot of these meals will have leftovers so I am sure we will not go through all of them in a month just like before.  Here is the link to the recipes I used. I did all of these in about 3 and a half hours. I am also not including in that number the frozen meats I didn't prepare.

The hubby even got in on the action this time and was a huge help! He told me later, "You like to take care of your family!" and I really do. I felt very accomplished (and tired) when I went to bed last night.

A few words of advice:

  • I used the gallon bags with the zipper on top and they worked much better.
  • I didn't lay everything out like I did before. I just pulled it from the fridge as I needed.
I didn't have everything I needed for a few of the recipes, so I just edited them as I needed. Some of the recipes before were bland and I didn't make them again or I changed the recipe a little to spice it up. Most of these were from Ring Around the Rosies.

Sorry there were no pictures this time. I will try to take pictures as I make them so I can have an example to show! 

Happy freezing!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment