Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Milestones~First Dentist Visit

 Milestones are so bittersweet to me. It is amazing to see your little one growing and doing new things, but it is sad they are growing up so fast. Today was another one of those bittersweet moments because it was Sophie Rae's first visit to the dentist.

We have really built this visit up with her and talked about what they are going to do. When I brushed her teeth I would talk about how they were going to count her teeth and look for "sugar bugs". She wavered between excited and "Noooo!" Luckily today, once she woke up, she was ready for the dentist and excited about going.  I was on the phone with Klint when we pulled up and I told her we were at the dentist and she said "Yesss!" So I knew it should all go good!

We went in and sat down and she asked me about all the chairs and pointed them all out and counted them and asked me where they came from. I snapped a quick photo before we went back. She was so stinking excited!

In the waiting room
They called us back and I answered some questions about our paperwork. They then told us we could go and wait in the playroom. The playroom is a really cute room with a huge mural painted on the wall and a Thomas the Train town on a big table. Sophie was in Heaven!



Mural
Miss Whitney came up and told us that my normal hygentist, Miss Dale, was running behind, but that she would take us back and do x-rays and then Miss Dale could clean her.  I was a little nervous because I hate getting x-rays. The thing is so uncomfortable in your mouth and I could only imagine poor Sophie. I was so nervous I didn't get any pictures of them doing the x-rays, but Sophie handled them like a champ and did wonderful! Part of that was because they have little TVs in front of the chair and Curious George was on. Not much could effect her with that going! They kept bragging about how good her "pictures" were. I did get a picture after the x-rays! She looked so tiny in that big chair!

Miss Dale came over and said she would go ahead and check Sophie's teeth and polish them for us. They were so good about explaining everything to her. They showed her their pink gloves and purple masks and explained what each tool was and what they were doing. She really seemed to enjoy it!





 After they "counted her teeth" they told her they were going to polish them. They showed her Mr. Thirsty (the suction straw) and Mr. Tickle (the polisher). She got to wear the toothpaste on her finger. She felt very big and helpful!


Next they flossed her. She did good with this too. They did it pretty fast because Sophie was slowly starting to lose interest.



Lastly we did a fluoride treatment and I had to help because Miss Dale had her hands full doing the toothbrush and Mr. Thirsty. But we got it done. At this point, Sophie had had it and was ready to go. Dr. Hasty came in and checked her teeth while she sat in my lap. That is when he dropped a bombshell on me...Sophie has a cavity! My heart just sank. I felt like I had bad mother written on my face, but he quickly told me that I really couldn't have stopped it. Sophie has a misshapen tooth with an extra ridge. The cavity formed in that extra ridge. That made me feel a little better. We go back July 16th to a pediatric dentist to see about having it filled.

Before she left Sophie got to pick a toy and Miss Dale gave her a teddy bear made by a lady from our church. Sophie took it grinning (after I coaxed her...she had really had enough).


So I guess we had two milestones in one day. Our first dentist visit and our first cavity! At least I know there wasn't anything we could really do because it was just the way the tooth is shaped. Sophie is not looking forward to her next visit, but maybe we can have her ready before it gets here! He he!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment