Friday, January 27, 2012

Grocery Shopping 101

Wow!!! What a busy Friday! As I am typing this, I am baking two batches of brownies and getting ready to make some Garlic Chicken Puffs (So easy and so good!). We are having an area wide congregational sing at our church tonight and finger foods afterwards. So glad I started on this last night!

Okay, let me just begin by saying that I am not an expert at grocery shopping nor do I proclaim to be one. I I remember a conversation that my dad and I had one time about grocery shopping. He told me that he hoped I was a better grocery shopper than my mother was when they first got married. I hated to inform him that I was not. At that point in my life, I was newly married and the only shopping I had done was for me. I was in college and I can remember the first time I went to the store to buy food just for me. I bought grape juice, cheese, and crackers (I guess I was going for a non-alcoholic wine tasting thing). I also bought just junk. But I was in college, that is how we rolled (I know...that was lame!) Then, I got married and I had to buy for two and try to make meals. It was tough! But in all honesty, I don't know a lot of people who are great at grocery shopping unless they go with a list and stick to it. When I would make a menu and stick to a list I did so much better. I didn't spend as much money. I didn't buy junk, and I came home with what I needed. On the other hand, going in without a list and just roaming the aisles to try to make a meal is no fun, takes forever, and you always forget something!


So, to start with I make my menu. You can find it here. I then take a piece of paper and divide it to four sections. I have one section for Dairy/Cold Food, one for Meats, One for Veggies/Fruits, and the last section is broken into two spaces. One says frozen veggies and the other says Other (for things that are not in the grocery section). I then fold the paper in half and on the back right Center Aisles. I tried to this according to how the store is laid out. I shop at Wal-Mart (I am a glutten for punishment!). I honestly don't like it, but where we live is kind of limited in grocery shopping. Our town is getting a Publix hopefully by the end of the year and that will be great! I really want to get into couponing and I understand they are great with coupons and I just LOVE Publix. They also have a feature where you can type in your grocery list and they will compile your list according to how your store is laid out! I am so excited!


Front

Back


A few things I always put on a grocery list: Milk (we have a two year old...kind of a no brainer!), Coffee Creamer (I am a total addict), Sandwich Meat and Bread (Klint likes to come home for lunch and wants something quick) and snacks for Sophie. I just started putting a pack of post-its in the kitchen with a pen so that we can write down things we need to get that are outside of the menu. 

Just because peanut butter and pickles is on this list doesn't mean anything....he he!

And now....THE LIST!
Dairy/ Cold Stuff
  • Chive and Onion Cream Cheese spread (2 tubs)
  • Sour Cream (16 oz. or just a big container. We eat a lot of sour cream at our house!)
  • Cheddar Cheese (Block or shredded. I usually just buy a big block and shred as I need it.)
  • Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
  • Cream Cheese (4 8oz. blocks. We eat a lot of cream cheese too)
  • Ricotta (I think you only need a cup so just a big enough container for that.)
  • Mozzarella (Again, I just buy a big block.)
  • Crescent Rolls (3 cans. Always good for a side.)
  • Eggs (We always need eggs.)
Meats
  • Chicken (I will probably buy two pack of 9 breast to have extra and just to be sure I have enough.I freeze two breast to a bag and thaw as I need them.)
  • Hamburger meat (I buy a big four pound pack and divide it.)
  • Bacon
  • Chicken wings
  • Rump Roast or any kind of roast (I need two because I use one for bar-b-que.)
  • Bone in chicken breast
  • Pork Loin
  • Sandwhich meat (We always need sandwhich meat.)
Veggies/Fruit
  • 4 baking potatoes
  • green onions
  • red potatoes (just a bag)
  • cauliflower florets
  • mushrooms (We love mushrooms! I know they aren't for everyone.)
  • 1 yellow pepper
  • 2 green peppers
  • basil
  • onions (a bag)
  • tomatoes (I try to get the ones with the vine still on them, but get what you know.)
  • 2 jalapenos (taco night)
  • cilantro
  • parsley
  • 2 lemons
  • 1 lime
  • garlic
  • chives
  • green beans (fresh)
  • carrots
Frozen Food
  • green beans
  • frozen corn
  • chopped spinach
  • tater tots
  • broccoli
Center Aisles
  • 3 cans cream of chicken
  • Ritz crackers
  • chicken broth
  • diced green chiles
  • tortillas
  • bread (we always need bread)
  • box of Italian dressing mix (I will use it! Trust me!
  • box of ranch dressing mix (same thing as above)
  • tomato sauce
  • 2 cans of Rotel tomatoes (for chili instead of salsa)
  • white rice (shame on me!)
  • Ramen noodles (for stir-fry)
  • ketchup
  • soy sauce
  • olive oil
  • red pepper flakes
  • cornstarch
  • seasame seeds
  • lemon juice
  • BBQ sauce
  • 2 box jumbo shells
  • parsley
  • Italian sesoning (from spice aisle)
  • spaghetti sauce
  • brown gravy mix
  • honey
  • brown sugar
  • maple syrup
  • cider vinegar
  • Dijon mustard
  • thyme
And there you have it! I know you are thinking "WOW! That is a lot of stuff!"  I already have a lot of this at home as some of you will have a lot of it. Mark off what you don't need. If you run into me I want have all of this in the buggy, but these are all the ingredients you will need for the menu. If you see I left something off, please let me know! 

Something silly I do: I try to set a goal for when I go in the store. I set a limit on how much I will spend and I use a calculator. I know that is kind of a "duh" thing, but sometimes seeing that other people do something makes you feel better about doing it. 

Happy shopping (and cooking!)!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment