Thursday, January 26, 2012

Menu Making~ Part 2: The Menu!

I am going grocery shopping on Saturday. Klint had some changes in his pay so I will have to make this list go for three weeks. I may have to go in the middle to get a few staples, but I will at least have the basics for the next three weeks!

Another few notes about menu making:
1. Think about your week. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Sundays are weird days for our family. Monday is return to work or school day. Wednesday and Sunday nights are church days. So I try to plan my left over nights or a crockpot night on those nights. I know that Friday and Saturday are not rush days so dinner can be a little late and I have more time to make more complicated meals.

2. The weather is important. I am a weather addict! Klint used to laugh at me because I would get ready in the morning with the weather channel on the whole time and it drove him crazy because eventually they repeat. I check the weather every morning to decide what to wear and how to fix my hair. It just makes sense to check it to decide what to eat because I personally don't want to have chili if it is going to be 90 degrees outside. In the same case, I don't want Klint grilling if it is 50 degrees (though it probably wouldn't bother him!) So I try to look at what the weather forecast says...I know that may seem crazy, but it is part of my process. (and I know that it is hard to see the weather for three weeks, but you can predict. That is all the weather people do!)

3. Plan for events. On my menu below I have Valentine's day and Klint's birthday! February 23rd is Sophie's birthday so I need to plan for these events (her's will be on the next list) and add anything extra to the menu. I also have super bowl Sunday to think about and there is one night that I will not be home so I may do something in the crockpot for Klint and Sophie before I leave that morning.

4. Klint wanted me to add "Think cheap!" I don't make recipes that call for fancy cuts of meat or exotic veggies. I try to keep it simple and cheap!

The Menu

Saturday, 01/28/2012 - Bacon wrapped chicken, twice baked potatoes, green beans

Sunday, 01/29/2012 - Poppy Seed Chicken, Rice, Green Beans (leftover from last night)

Monday, 01/30/2012 - Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chile Sour Cream Sauce

Tuesday, 01/31/2012 - Left Overs (or Sandwhiches)

Wednesdsay, 02/01/2012 - Creamy Crockpot Chicken and Rice with steamed broccoli

Thursday, 02/02/2012 - Chicken Cacciatore with Creamy Mashed Potatoes

Friday, 02/03/2012 - Taco Night (Crockpot Chicken for Tacos) (See notes below)*

Saturday, 02/04/2012 - Slow-Cooker Hearty Beef Chili and Grilled Cheese (See notes below*)

Sunday, 02/05/2012 - Super Bowl!!! Wings and munchies

Monday, 02/06/2012 -Left Overs (or Sandwhiches)

Tuesday, 02/07/2012- BBQ Sandwiches (I will be out of town)

Wednesday, 02/08/2012- I will be out of town. One for you to try: Linguini w/ mushroom pasta sauce and grilled chicken.

Thursday, 02/09/2012-Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken with Rice or Noodles (I am doing noodles.)

Friday, 02/10/2012 - Pan-Roasted Chicken with Lemon-Garlic Green Beans

Saturday, 02/11/2012 - Chicken and Spinach Stuffed Shells and salad w/ homemade ranch dressing

Sunday, 02/12/2012 - Crockpot Pot Roast with rice and crescent rolls

Monday, 02/13/2012- Leftovers (or Sandwhiches)

Tuesday, 02/14/2012 - Valentine's Day! Klint said "Heart Shaped Steak" Yeah Right! Taco Night

Wednesday, 02/15/2012 - Klint's Birthday...may go out! Just in case we don't: Tater Tot Casserole

Thursday, 02/16/2012- Maple and Brown Sugar Pork Tenderloin, rice, and steamed veggies

Friday, 02/17/2012 - Date Night...maybe! Just in case we don't:

Notes:
I will do a post about taco night at our house! It is a favorite (as you can see we have it listed twice)! I will also do a post on the pot roast and BBQ sandwiches. A few other things to note, some of these are new recipes and I haven't made them. They fit the bill for what I was looking for from my previous post. I also try to look at the reviews and comments to see if someone did something different or if it wasn't worth fooling with at all. I will try to post if I see a recipe is more difficult. If you have made any of these, please comment and share your experiences. I have made most of these and they are loved by our family!

I will post the grocery list Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment